The James B. Edmonds School was designed in 1902 by noted Washington architects Marsh and Peter and constructed in 1903. It is an excellent example of how private architects adapted the Colonial Revival style to fit school building architecture in the early twentieth century. The school has been used commercially over the past two decades. The school is currently in the midst of an immaculate restoration and repurposing the school into 25 condominium units. Units inside the schoolhouse will include revealed original structural elements and masonry as design features. There will be a variety of unit types and sizes, ranging from 500 square-foot, junior 1 bedroom, to “lofted” 3 bedroom corner units nearing 1,700 square feet.
On the remainder of the existing lot, there is land on which we are currently building 4 3,500 square-foot custom town homes facing D Street and 1 duplex facing 9th Street.
The Edmonds School Condominiums lie in the heart of Capital Hill, directly between Eastern Market and the thriving H Street corridor. While it is between two major urban centers, this location provides the quiet residential feel that sits amongst tree-lined streets of historic row houses, giving it a very Washingtonian feel.